How do I register for a course at another school at Columbia?

Students who are registered at P&S full time may cross register each semester, without charge, for one or two courses in several other schools at Columbia.  However, since P&S students do not have a summer registration, they must pay tuition if they cross-register for a course during a University summer term. In all cases, they must have the approval of the P&S Dean of Student Affairs as well as the instructor of the course they wish to take. Students may also audit courses at the graduate or undergraduate schools at Columbia by seeking permission from the instructor. Please note that language courses cannot be audited. 

If a course is oversubscribed, students who have cross registered have low priority and may be dropped. Seminars are not usually available to P&S students. Registration for non-credit language courses is only final at the end of the change-of-program period.

Cross registered courses may be taken for a grade, pass/fail, or registration credit (R). The grade or designation appears on the student’s transcript.

As part of Foundations of Clinical Medicine (FCM II), in the Spring of the first year, students may take courses in the Columbia departments of English, comparative literature, languages, history, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, qualitative social sciences, art, writing, theatre, film, journalism, and religion instead of the required Narrative Medicine Seminar Series. Private music, dance or art lessons, finance courses, and science courses are not acceptable. Mailman School of Public Health courses that have policy or sociology in the curriculum are acceptable, but biostatistics is not. Medical Spanish at New York Presbyterian Hospital or Michael Shane's P&S course may not substitute for the FCM requirement. A passing grade (P or a letter grade) in a humanities course becomes Pass for the Narrative Medicine component of FCM II. Dr. Rita Charon oversees Narrative Medicine and can answer any additional questions.

Registration forms for cross registration are available in the Registrar’s Office (Black Building 141) and online.

Feedback and Knowledge Base